Hi everyone…Nazila here!
As of Thursday, summer is here for my family. And this year my younger daughter has begun an anti-camp campaign. “Summer is supposed to be relaxing, time to hang out with friends, go swimming, have sleepovers. I don’t want to go to camp!”, she said. Hmmm….all I could think about was that a week into her relaxing time, I was going to hear “I am bored. I am bored. I am bored.” But may be not? I thought to myself, that maybe she really needs some time to unwind.
So we came up with some ideas for our non-camp summer!
- Create a crafts camp for the younger set in our neighborhood.
- Dog-walking, Babysitting
- Cleaning, organizing (least favorite!)
- Local library – Minimum age to be a volunteer is 14. 😦
- Local bookstore – Same problem.
- Soup kitchen and homeless shelter need a parent present.
- Youth service programs – For middle-school kids, they are really camps, focused on service. A possibility.
What are your ideas? What are your middle-schoolers saying about their summer?